COMMONWEALTH OF DOMINICA
Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries Blue and Green Economy
Call for Expression of Interest
The Government of the Commonwealth of Dominica has received financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the Emergency Agricultural Livelihoods and Climate Resilience Project (EALCRP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds towards the financing of the Productive Alliance.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Blue and Green Economy is the mandated government department to protect and sustainably leverage Dominica’s marine and terrestrial assets, and cultural heritage in a dynamic, social and gender inclusive manner aimed at enhancing food and nutrition security, while contributing to economic growth and improving livelihoods.
The World Bank Group is an international financial institution founded to assist with major areas of development and to provide financial products and technical assistance to countries, enabling the application of innovative solutions to the challenges.
The Emergency Agriculture Livelihoods and Climate Resilience Project (EALCRP) is a project designed to contribute to the restoration of the agricultural livelihoods and enhancing climate resilience of farmers and fisherfolk affected by Hurricane Maria in Commonwealth of Dominica.
A Productive Alliance (PA) is a formal agreement between a group of an organized group of farmers or Producer Organizations (PO) and a buyer for the provision of a certain good in specified quantities and quality standards.
The proposed Project Development Objective (PDO) of a Productive Alliance is to enhance access to markets and sales for competitively selected farmers and fishers, as well as their allied aggregators and agro-processors in the Commonwealth of Dominica. Farmers and fishers together with their allied aggregators and agro-processors must work together in a Productive Alliance (PA) to access support from the Project.
The PA approach provides integrated solutions for addressing market limitations which constrain small-scale producer organizations’ socio-economic progress, such as:
- Limited scale of production and low productivity as a result of poor knowledge of modern production practices; technologies and market requirements
- Limited knowledge of entrepreneurial and management skills required to become more competitive and more resilient to economic and climatic shocks
- Inadequate access to financial resources for productive investments to increase efficiency and comply with market requirements
- Lack of direct access to buyers and markets to successfully integrate into local national and or international value chains
- Inferior standing in market negotiations with buyers and input providers to obtain better prices and more stable market relations
- To resolve major constraints on Producer Organizations, access to markets
- Engagement with the private sector to enable SMMEs to meet market demands for quality produce in required quantities within specified timelines
- Help producer organizations and Commercial Partners to improve their technical, organizational, managerial and negotiation skills to enable the expansion of their market intelligence
Specific target groups fitting all listed the criteria will be pre-qualify:
- Aggregators/SMMEs, and Commercial Partners including wholesalers, trader’s, supermarkets, exporters and marketing entities
- Aggregators/Producer organizations (PO) including Associations, Co-operatives or similar organizations with valid legal standing
All eligible applicants for consideration for participation will be required to meet the following criteria:
How to apply
The Ministry of Blue and Green, Agriculture and National Food Security through the Emergency Agriculture Livelihoods & Climate Resilience Project (EALCRP) now invites eligible Producers Organizations to participate in the Productive Alliance by submitting a letter including the relevant eligible documents to express interest.
Relevant Eligible Documents
- letter of Expression of Interest
Must be accompanied by the following annexes
- Annex 1- Must have a complete Concept Note (development guide)
- Annex 2- Registered business (Companies Act 78.04 or Cooperatives Societies Act Chapter 78.03 under Revised Laws of Commonwealth of Dominica)
- Annex 3- Certificate of Establishment
- Annex 4- Must have evidence of contractual arrangements. Contractual/Purchase agreement /Formal Letter of Agreement. (sample)
Expressions of interest must be submitted by JULY 14th, 2023 midnight Eastern Caribbean time in written form (in person, or by mail, or electronically) to the address below:
Attn: Kervin Stephenson
Ministry of Blue & Green Economy Agriculture and National Food Security
First Floor, First Domestic Building
19-21 King George V Street, Roseau
Commonwealth of Dominica
Tel: (767) 3998/275 1948
Further information can be obtained at EALCRP- Project Implementation Unit (PIU) at the 1st Floor First Domestic Building, 19-21 King George V Street, Roseau at Tel: (767) 266-3998/275-1948 during office hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Mondays and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Tuesdays to Fridays.